Nokia has partnered with ABI Research (research firm) to survey over 600 manufacturing decision-makers to assess investment strategies related to 4G/LTE, 5G and Industry 4.0.1.
The survey found that:
- 74% of respondents are looking to upgrade their networks by the end of 2022.
- Over 90% investigating the use of either 4G or 5G in their operations.
- 52% believed the latest generation of 4G/LTE and 5G is necessary to meet their goals.
The research also identified key business trends that would drive investment in 4G or 5G:
- 63% Respondents reflected the need to digitalize existing infrastructure.
- 51% said automation with robotics.
- 42% reflected enhanced employee productivity.
Manish Gulyani, Vice President Marketing, Nokia Enterprise said, “We have reached an inflection point in Industry 4.0 transformation as the fast, secure, low latency connectivity underpinning its implementation now becomes available. This research indicates the strong marketplace appetite for industrial-grade wireless networking to capture the transformational benefits of digitalization and automation. We believe that demand, combined with easy-to-deploy private wireless solutions, will drive adoption”.
Key points of research are:
- 88% said they were familiar with private wireless (4G/5G) networking.
- 84% are considering 4G/5G will deploy their own local private wireless network in their manufacturing operations.
- leading priority buying areas are 47% automation and machine upgrades, 41 % IoT initiatives, with 37% cloud infrastructure.
Ryan Martin, Principal Analyst, ABI Research said: “Importantly, research findings indicate a preference for deploying private fully-owned and operated wireless networks, with manufacturers favoring in-house management to allay security concerns. Based on this research we also observe a pan-industry need to quantify not only the potential ROI of investing in private wireless, but also to clearly indicate the cost of inaction – vendors need to make the case for investing in Industry 4.0 today to gain a clear competitive advantage over those who choose to wait.”
You can view more details here.